Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Partnership for 21st Century Skills

The website, Partnership for 21st Century Skills is impressive.  I looked at some of the Guides and I was impressed with the 21st Century Skills Implementation Guide.  This Implementation Guide gives recommendations to our leaders on what is needed in our schools including core subject mastery.  In reading this I could see many of the trends that my school is implementing.  Looking at Summative Assessments, becoming Standards Based, Performance Based, Rubrics....  All of these terms have been used in our school to implement our 21st Century Grading Policy.
With the future in mind, I think that becoming a contemporary educator can only help advance our students to a higher level, to become more productive members of the school community and to become productive members of society and in the workplace.

3 comments:

  1. Diane,

    Did you feel that the resources on the site were similar to the resources you currently use in your classroom? Any differences?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious about the role standard's based grading has played in your school. Many of the people that I have talked to on this topic have found a dilemma when it comes to students and when they demonstrate that they have met standard. Do you find this to be the case? Can an assignment ever really have a due date or there ever be a final grade when a student can come back later and show that they have met standard?

    I know this debate is happening in our district right now and I'm curious about how this has gone in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to you both. The resources were similar to what I currently use in the classroom.
    Standards based grading is still in it's infancy at our school. Especially when it comes to the 21st Century grading that our district wants us to adopt. Such as not grading practice or homewowrk. Most parents want us to grade this, they do not understand the philosophy of this policy(sometimes I do not either). Parents want everything to be graded. Students find that if they are not getting a grade for it they won't do it and then when it comes time to show Matery of the content or Standard they can't. So I guess there are still alot of bugs in the system.

    ReplyDelete