Wednesday, September 15, 2010

How would I use a blog in my classroom?

With  the ever increasing pressure from our districts and from the government for better test scores, it has become imperative that we use any means possible to help our students close the gap in testing.  One way we can do this is to incorporate technology in the classroom.  Blogs can be an important form of technology. As an art educator on the high school level, I can showcase my student's artwork along with the skills they have acheived in writing critiques, their explanations about the meaning and importance of their work.  It can also be used to post state standards and the relationship of the artwork to other subjects such as math and reading.  Students can share ideas for improvement or kudos for excellence.  Students within the class or students who are taking the same course but at a different time can post responses and opinions of the work that is presented on the site.  One thing I would do also is not to force a student to post their artwork in the blog.  Sometimes art is a very personal thing and I would respect that with my student.

Posting on a blog is a good tool for students to learn about the larger picture beyond the school community especially if the blog is opened up to other sources.  The next Picasso may be discovered. 

3 comments:

  1. Would you be the one posting the pictures and information or would the students have a way of uploading the pictures or depictions of their artwork? It would seem that if you are the one posting all of this information that you are sacrificing quite a bit of your personal time.

    I wonder if there is a way that you could post a thread and then have the students respond in the thread with the pictures or postings of their art.

    I like that you have recognized that not all of your students want their art displayed. That would seem to be one of the greatest challenges to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane,
    That's an excellent idea to showcase student work. I also like that you are not forcing students to broadcast their work if they chose not to. Maybe you could include pictures/artwork that are seen within the community you teach and have students comment on those works as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your ideas.
    I have not thought some of the logistics through because of my lack of technology experience. I have a tendency to be a control freak. Thinking about it, I would like to have my students post their own work but I would have to monitor it very closely for hidden meanings and frankly gang symbolism and sexual inuendo. Sad isn't it.

    ReplyDelete